As of September 2019, we are seeking:
- Applications for the waiting list from any voice part
About the choir
Many have sung in cathedrals and university college chapels; some pursue ongoing vocal study; many sing on London’s church deputy circuit or as occasional oratorio soloists; and many are good old fashioned dedicated amateurs.
The age-range of the present group is 25-55 with the core age group in the late-twenties/early thirties bracket. All age groups are eligible and welcome to apply.
It’s a friendly, sociable choir with equal dedication to post-sing pub and other social events as to music-making.
Typical qualities, experience and expectation of choir members:
- Formal musical training and solid vocal technique
Members have typically studied singing at university, else sung extensively in collegiate or cathedral environments, or other accomplished choirs (e.g. National Youth Choir)
- Ninja sightreading skills and confidence in holding a line 1-to-a-part
- Keen involvement in social aspect of the choir
- Willingness to contribute to the administration of the group
There is no committee and only one part-time paid member of staff; it is otherwise entirely run by volunteers from within the group, with a significant workload to make it all happen
- Excellent “personal admin” – chiefly, replying promptly to fixing emails
- Reliable and conscientious: honouring commitments to projects and making time to to do private preparation
12-16 members of Epiphoni sing in all projects, with a flexible “opt out” option to accommodate clashes. The rest sing in around 50% of projects (“opt in”). We have a separate list of deputies, and also a waiting list. As the choir is so active, those on the waiting list usually get a look-in within six months.
On average projects are 2-3 rehearsals only. As the schedule is lean, 100% rehearsal attendance is expected.
Singers are expected to prepare music between rehearsals to ensure familiarity and to guarantee the sort of accomplished performances for which the choir has built its reputation. We’ve all sung in choirs where the goal is to sing as many right notes as possible on minimal preparation; with Epiphoni we aim somewhat higher.
- 2-3 London-based concerts per term
- 2-3 choir-for-hire engagements such as weddings, or corporate events around Christmas — all members are expected to sign up to these (see below)
- 1-2 evensongs in and around London (Westminster Abbey, St Paul’s Cathedral, St Albans to date)
- 1 away weekend
- 1 or more non-music socials in London area
At present there are no subs/membership fees for the choir. Instead, members are asked to sing in at least one of the fundraisers (weddings, carol concerts, corporate bookings) each year. Those who cannot do this generally offer a donation.
On rare occasions where music scores cannot be supplied by the choir, members are asked to source their own music (usually for scores that will get repeat use) but subsidy is available for people with financial constraints.
There are 1-2 out-of-town engagements per year — within or around the M25 we ask members to absorb their own travel costs if possible; beyond, travel is normally covered.
We occasionally experiment with an optional donation per project, as a contribution for rehearsal venue costs. These contributions have enabled us to secure a more regular home in zone 1 (near Euston) instead of moving round London finding the cheapest option. Other rehearsal locations include Pimlico, the City (various), and Vauxhall.
Arrange an audition
If the above sounds like the right fit, please send a CV and brief email to Tim Reader, Artistic Director, at email@example.com and we’ll let you know the current vacancies situation and when auditions are taking place.